Do’s & Don’t
Before Cycling :
- Choose a cycle which best suits your physical condition.
- Check the condition of the cycle and wear safety helmets and pads before setting off.
- Any articles carried should be light and small. They should be placed in the basket or carrier and firmly tighten on your cycle.
- Wear bright or light-coloured clothing during the day and reflective or fluorescent clothing at night or in poor visibility conditions.
- Plan your route of journey with the available cycle tracks as far as possible.
When cycling :
- Obey traffic light signals, traffic signs and road markings.
- When riding in the dark or at times of poor visibility, turn on a white light in front and a red light at the rear of your cycle.
- You must ride in single file except when overtaking. Ride along the left side of the road and keep clear of the kerb. Do not drift from side to side or zig-zag through traffic.
- Always ride on a cycle track if it is available.
- Ride at safe speed.
- Dismount from cycle when crossing pedestrian crossings.
- Keep a safe distance from any cycles in front of you and beware of their sudden stop for avoiding accident happen.
- Always keep your hands on the handlebar and feet on the pedals.
- Always pay attention to : -
- Signals of other road users
- Obstacles on pavement
- Parked vehicles, and be beware of their car doors being opened when you passing along.
- Under normal circumstance, apply the rear brake before the front brake.
- Use the rear brake for smooth gradual slowing down.
- Use the front brake for more abrupt and efficient braking.
- Only brake when the front wheel is straight.
- Do not carry passengers. Do not carry any goods or animals which may obstruct your vision or upset your balance.
- Do not ride on "Expressway" or within "Tunnel Area".
- On the road : -
- Do not hold onto other vehicles.
- Do not drag any object.
- Wherever part of the road has been set aside for cycles, no person shall ride a cycle on any other part of the road.
- Do not use mobile phone and earphone for music listening.
- Do not ride on the footway.
- Do not ride on the opposite direction of an one-way street or on the right side of the two-way street.
- A child aged under eleven is not allowed to ride a cycle on the road unless accompanied by an adult.
- Do not ride multicycles outside the specified areas.